PROOF OF NEW MEXICO RESIDENCY
One Quick Trip!
Need to proof your residency in New Mexico?
Whether you’re applying for a REAL ID, titling and registering your vehicle, or getting a driver’s license in New Mexico, you must establish proof of New Mexico Residency.
- The following documents must have the same physical address and be valid.
- Documents can be from the same type of category, but not from the same company. (Ex. 2 utility bills are accepted, but not from the same company.)
- If you are married you can present proofs of residency in your spouse’s name along with the marriage certificate.
- Your New Mexico Residency Documents must match your current legal name:
- It must include the suffix (example: Mrs.” and “Jr.”) if it is apart of your current legal name; and
- It may include, omit or abbreviate your middle name.
If your legal name does not match your proof of residency, you can provide linking documents that show why your name is different. The only linking documents that the state accepts are:
- Marriage Certificates
- Divorce Decrees
- Court Orders
- Adoption or other court records
Documents That Prove New Mexico Residency
Bring Two (2) Of The Following:
Documents Dated within 60 Days
- Utility Bill (Ex. Gas, Electric, Propane, Water, Waste, Internet, satellite, Home Phone). No cell phone bill statements are accepted.
- Bank, Credit Card, or Mortgage Monthly Statement. No account balance or new account forms.
- Pay Stub that includes the applicant’s name and address.
- Education Institution Document (Transcript, Report Card, or Enrollment) No school ID
- City, Country, State, Tribal, or Federal Document Attesting to having Residency in New Mexico.
- Document evidencing eligibility and proof that the applicant is currently receiving services from a non-profit organization. The document must display the applicant’s physical address.
- NM Medical Assistance Card with the letter from the issuing agency that came with the card, showing name and address or profile print out from the issuing agency or benefits award letter showing
- NM Public Assistance Card with the letter from the issuing agency that came with the card, showing name and address or profile print out from the issuing agency or benefits award letter showing
Documents Dated within 6 months
- Insurance Bill, Card, or Binder. Home, health, life, auto, homeowners, and renter’s policies are acceptable.
Documents with Current Date:
- Real Property Rental or Purchase Agreement
- Local Property Tax Statement. Most current issued by County Assessor
For Minors Under 18 Years Old (Document Needs To Be Dated Within 6 Months):
- Document indicating membership in a New Mexico religious organization issued by that organization.
- Document indicating membership in a New Mexico sports organization issued by that organization.
- Affidavit from the applicant’s parent or guardian stating that the applicant lives with that person. The parent or guardian needs to be present and have a valid New Mexico Drivers License or ID with the correct physical address. If the parent has an out-of-state credential, the parent must present 2 proofs of New Mexico physical residency along with the affidavit. | Print and Fill Out: MVD 10021 | Download Form