New Mexico Learner’s Permit
One Quick Trip!
How to obtain your New Mexico Learner’s Permit?
Is your fifteen-year-old wanting to drive? Or maybe you are finally ready to roll up your sleeves and brave the road?! Here is some information on how to obtain your learner’s permit.
Requirements for obtaining a learner’s permit:
If you do not have a New Mexico ID, you will need to present the following.
- Proof of identification number, proof of identity, and two proofs of New Mexico residency. Specific document requirements vary depending on whether the applicant will apply for a REAL ID driver’s license or a driving authorization card (DAC). Check out our acceptable documents checklist to verify eligibility.
- Proof that the applicant is currently enrolled in or has completed a Driver Education Program. The applicant will need to present their Driver Education Referral Card or Certificate of Completion. We recommend Premier School of Driving.
- Proof of financial responsibility. In other words, if the applicant is underage, a parent or guardian must be present and have a physical New Mexico ID or License present.
- Vision test. This is performed in the office.
- A written test or Certificate of Completion from an MVD-contracted driver education school.
We want to help guide you through the entire Driver’s License process. If your next step is applying for a Provisional Driver’s License, click here! Feel free to contact us at 505-341-2683 if you have any questions or need clarification. One of our friendly MVD agents will be happy to help!