GET YOUR NEW MEXICO handicap placard
One Quick Trip!
New Mexico Handicap Placards
A resident of New Mexico who has a “significant mobility limitation” may apply for and be issues no more than two parking placards for display upon a motor vehicle that is either registered to or is transporting the person with a significant mobility limitation. MVD Now issues both permanent and temporary placards, as well as license plates for people with disabilities and for disabled veterans. MVD Now is here to help you get your handicap placard for the first time or renewed in one, quick trip!
TYPES OF DISABILITY PLACARDS
- Permanent handicap placards. A permanent Placard expires for years from the date it was issued. Once approved for use of a permanent placard, the individual is not required to provide further medical information.
- Temporary handicap placards. A temporary placard may be issued for up to one year based on a physician’s statement attesting to a temporary significant mobility limitation.
FIRST TIME HANDICAP PLACARDS
The application will need to be filled out by a physician. Sections A, C, and D of the Certificate of Eligibility for Parking Placard will need to be filled out in full. | Print and Fill Out: MVD-10383 | Download Form
RENEWAL OF HANDICAP PLACARDS
When your New Mexico permanent disability placard expires, take the following to your nearest MVD Now office:
- A completed Certificate of Eligibility for Parking Placard for Mobility Impaired Individuals |Print and Fill Out: MVD-10383 | Download Form
- You can self-confirm your disability on the form. You DO NOT need a doctor’s signature to renew a permanent placard.
- Your placard or placard number.
- If your temporary placard expires and you still need it, you must reapply and have your doctor re-certify your disability. Print and Fill Out: MVD-10383 | Download Form
REPLACE YOUR NM HANDICAP PLACARD
If your placard has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to go in person to one of our MVD Now offices.
You will need to:
- Re-submit the Certificate of Eligibility for Parking Placard for Mobility Impaired Individuals |Print and Fill Out: MVD-10383 | Download Form
- Self-confirm your disability on the form.
- Provide your disability placard number.
Disability Placards Rules
- Placards for disabled parking allow you to park in designated handicapped parking spaces for easier access to buildings and businesses.
- Only you can use the permit issued to you.
- When you park, you must display your placard so that the permit number and expiration date are visible from the front of the car.
- Do one (1) of the following:
- Hang the New Mexico handicap placard on the rearview mirror.
- Put it on your dashboard if there is no mirror.
- Do one (1) of the following:
New Mexico’s Handicap Placard Services
Here at MVD Now, our goal is for you to make one, quick trip to the MVD! We’re glad to offer you quick, friendly, and efficient handicap placard services! Schedule an appointment today at one of our 8 locations in Albuquerque and Bernalillo or call us at 505-341-2MVD We are close to home or work, for you! Our staff is ready to provide you with exceptional customer service. Contact us today!